Experience of Energy Analysis

After graduated from Unversity of Oxford with MMath in Mathematics and Statistics, I worked as a Research Analyst in a consulting firm. I worked closely with Electrical and Mechanical Service Department (EMSD) of the Hong Kong Government. I managed the Hong Kong end-use energy* database, including data collection, conversion, analysis, and projection. I summarized end-use energy data and analysis, published in "Hong Kong End-use Energy 2013" for EMSD. On the other hand, I also provide Hong Kong end-use energy data to Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation(APEC)**.

「energy」的圖片搜尋結果

This job not only provides me with a chance to understand more about the Hong Kong Government but also to strengthen my analytical skill as well as excel skill. During my university life, I seldom use Excel as my course does not require much calculation ( a lot of proving, you would know that if you are a mathematician). In my job, I finally managed the energy data with more than 40 spreadsheets as well as VBA. My communication skill has also been improved. Although I was playing with the data most of the time, I need to report to my manager on any findings and analysis of data regularly. My manager continually provides feedback not only on the analysis and findings but also my way to communicate with him:
「communication」的圖片搜尋結果1) Provide a summary at the beginning of the conversation
2) The number say the fact, so please provide analysis for any findings
3) Do not hesitate to update the manager
Those are the most critical points that I have learnt from my manager.




After more than one year, I decided to change to a job in the actuarial field, which I will provide more detail next time.


*End-use energy refers to all energy that is directly consumed by the user, e.g. lighting
Feel free to refer to the most updated issue in the following link about end-use energy
https://www.emsd.gov.hk/filemanager/en/content_762/HKEEUD2018.pdf

** If you are interested in Energy data, please refer to the following link
https://www.egeda.ewg.apec.org/egeda/general/info/pdf/APEC_STATISTICS_2015.pdf



留言

這個網誌中的熱門文章

University of Cambridge

1810.hk Analysis 20201014

Actuary in Reinsurance Brokers